Monday, April 28, 2008

The ebook and going green.


In 2007 400,000 books were published or distributed. The U.S. publishing industry emits over 12.4 million tons of carbon dioxide each year, or about 8.85 pounds per book, according to the findings in the just-released report, Environmental Trends and Climate Impacts: Findings from the U.S. Book Industry. The study, coordinated by the Book Industry Study Group and the Green Press Initiative, looked to establish industry benchmarks related to publishing’s impact on the environment. The cutting of trees for paper was found to have the most significant impact on the industry’s carbon footprint, although the report says the use of recycled paper and fibers has increased over the last several years.—Publisher’s Weekly, March 10, 2008.
So why haven’t you purchased a book reader? Why are we still buying paper novels? Take the poll.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I just bought my first ebook reader. It's an ebookwise reader and I really like it. It feels a lot like a paperback - about the same size and weight.

It's going to be very interesting to watch the progression of e-publishing. I'm surprised environmentalists haven't done more to educate the public on the waste associated with print books.

Dee S Knight and Anne Krist said...

I've had a book reader for almost 8 years now (I'm on my second) and I love it. I can't count the number of people who tell me they'd never try a reader because they love the "feel and smell" of a "real" book. Ha! I can hold my reader with one hand, turn pages with my thumb and hold a cup of coffee in the other hand. Coffee trumps "feel and smell" in my book any day. No pun intended!

Why are you still buying paper novels?

Blog Archive